Antigonish Curling Club formed around 1850, c 1883-1884. Courtesy of Antigonish Heritage Museum. Restoration: Anne Louise MacDonald. Member Names on Virtual Gallery.
A letter on the letterhead of The Union Fire Insurance Company Limited of Paris, France from F. N. Arnaud of Annapolis Royal to Alex MacGillivray, Antigonish, dated 13th June, 1931, describes Antigonish’s first curling rinks:
“The very first curling rink was down the lane of Court St. between the back of Archibald’s shop and Bishop’s Carriage Shop. The water went into the ground as fast as they put it on and we boys took our sleds with a box on and gathered up snow outside and hauled it in and the man sprinkled it and trod it down into the slush and on this they made the ice. The next winter they had the old Lindsay Coach Barn other end of Court St. that was two or three rinks wide and there is where we had the Carnival.“
The members of the 1893-1894 Curling Club, number coded on the unrestored photo. Courtesy of Antigonish Heritage Museum. Restoration: Anne Louise MacDonald