Celtic Hall, Main St. (present location of the Legion), c 1940s. Courtesy of Antigonish Heritage Museum, Duggan album.
The Celtic Hall, constructed in 1905 by the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association, became the venue for such varied activities as dances, boxing matches, local plays and musicals, spinning exhibitions, graduations, political gatherings and elections. It boasted a theatre with stage and balcony with seating capacity for 500. In 1939, under new ownership, the basement was renovated to house three bowling alleys and a billiard room with three tables. The Hall burned down in 1962.