Old St. Ninian’s church on Main Street, StFX first buildings in the distance, the first photo of Antigonish to appear in The Casket June 26, 1902. Courtesy of Antigonish Heritage Museum. Restoration: Anne Louise MacDonald
This photo appeared in the Jubilee edition of the Casket (established 1852) predating photojournalism, as it has no reference to any content within the paper. It is positioned square in the middle of a story about fishery treaties between French and English related to boundaries of Newfoundland and St. Pierre.